Sunday 3 March 2013

How my Feb Flash quest ended in a blog...


What do you mean you won't have a drink??? 

'I'm not drinking at the moment, I've decided to have a cleansing month of eating well and not indulging in alcohol THAT's what I mean' 

I'm almost compelled to apologise to my mates. Forgive me, I am not drinking this month. 

I must say I'm gobsmacked by the response to my personal quest to get Flash in Feb. It seems I have committed a social sin. Not many have applauded, most think I'd gone mad. It was the month my monsters started a new school after all, the youngest off to the big wide scary world of kindy, the month I really could have appreciated a glass or three to help calm my nerves. But I didn't want to do that. I wanted to be entirely focussed on my kids. I didn't want to waste an afternoon. I wanted to engage more. I wanted to listen more. I wanted to play more. I wanted to feel better. I wanted to be kind to my body. I wanted to look after me. 

Yet the number of invites for 'drinks' I've turned down, the number of lunches that involve a 'drink' I've turned down is really interesting. 'How about we get together next month' they say. Now I'm suddenly swamped with invites for the next couple of months when I've come around to my 'senses'. 

What is it that makes people nervous when someone around them is on the water? Admittedly, I have before looked at a non drinker and thought 'I wish they'd relax and have a drink' now I feel ashamed to say I have judged or questioned people prematurely. Why do we do it? Do we as a society fear being judged ourselves? It's not as though I am going to count how many you have nor think less of you if you drink while I am not. Do we feel we can't relax if others aren't seemingly relaxing with a drink? Why do we eye non drinkers suspiciously? More importantly, why do we think alcohol is the green light to zen? 

As I relished every good night's sleep, my increased energy and admired my clearer skin and baggier clothes, it prompted me to ask why some drink. The responses? Ones I'm quietly confident we have either said or heard before. 'It helps me relax' to 'it gives me confidence to talk to people socially' to 'I was bored' to this ripper 'it makes me forget everything else' 

Each to their own. Look, I'm not here to judge. I don't care if you have one, three, a bottle or none at all. I do care if you have a problem and need help. I do care if you won't meet me until I am nursing a glass. I only know I will no longer be so quick to judge the non drinker. Personally I am feeling fantastic. I won't bow to pressure and I won't be succumbed in to a drink just because. I will enjoy a glass when I am surrounded by good company and it will be in my own time. 

But you know what? I'm fun with or without a glass of sparkles in my hand. I can still laugh at your anecdotes, I'll tell one thousand of my own and the best part? I'll wake up in the morning after a great sleep and I'll remember every word you said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment